From the moment we’re born to the moment we die, we experience so many things. These experiences build who we are and who we become. Together, our experiences, passions, and talents create a story that’s unique from everyone and anyone we know.
Some may find their purpose and passions early on, while some may take time to get where they need to be. But life isn’t a competition or a race. As long as you stay true to your unique and authentic self, you can fulfill the purpose our Creator has given you.
In this episode, we learn everything about writing and sharing a story with author and self-publishing expert Michelle Prince. She teaches us how to become an author of a story that’s authentic to you. Hopefully, after tuning in to our conversation, you’ll be able to identify which of your passions, talents, and experiences are worth sharing with the world.
If you have trouble finding what it means to be you and knowing how to become the author of your story, listen to this episode.
Michelle Prince is a life coach, motivational speaker, best-selling author, and self-publishing expert. Inspired and endorsed by Zig Ziglar, Michelle is passionate about helping other people share their very own stories to inspire other people. She is a Ziglar Certified speaker/trainer and Ziglar brand ambassador.
Michelle is the founder and CEO of Performance Publishing Group. This company dedicates itself to making a difference one story at a time. She is also the founder of Book Bound Workshop, where she helps people get their stories written, published, and marketed.
As a speaker, coach, and author, Michelle uses her authenticity to connect and inspire people towards personal development. She continuously motivates people to become published authors.
- Learn how to translate your passions and experiences into something motivating and helpful for other people.
- Understand what it means to be authentic and how to be likable while maintaining authenticity.
- Be inspired to become the author of your story.
- Subscribe to our website and other social channels to get resources from our guests and updates on our latest giveaways and episodes.
- Seek Go Create Episode: Mitzi Perdue on Lessons from Family Businesses and Legacies
- Seek Go Create Episode: Iron Man, Real Estate, Golf | Q&A with Mark “MJ” Jackson
- The Call to Mastery with Jordan Raynor
- The Secret of My Success
- See You At The Top by Zig Ziglar
- Master of One: Find and Focus on the Work You Were Created to Do by Jordan Raynor
- The Power of Authority by Michelle Prince
- Winning in Life Now by Michelle Prince
- Other books and courses by Michelle Prince
- Performance Publishing Group, Michelle’s publishing company
- Book Bound Workshop
- Connect with Michelle: Website | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Youtube
[06:09] Michelle’s History and Experience with Zig Ziglar
- Zig Ziglar is one of Michelle’s greatest inspirations and mentors. He is a beacon of hope for many people, and he helps people become their best selves.
- Michelle first met him at 18 years old in a seminar that changed her life. She then knew she wanted to work for him.
- Michelle was a good and positive girl but with a slightly tipped-off attitude towards her parents. She didn’t know anything about passion and personal development before meeting Zig Ziglar.
- Although she wanted a speaker job initially, she landed a sales job with Ziglar. It was all about buying books, cassette tapes, and knowing they’re selling good things to people.
[13:02] Michelle’s Journey to Sharing Her Story
- Michelle never had a competitive spirit, but she was drawn to leadership positions.
- She was working with Zig Ziglar when she went to a Women of Faith conference, looked at people speaking on stage, and was amazed. She then figured out speaking might be her gift.
- Michelle made a lot of mistakes in the process.
- She also doubted herself, but everyone does. Sometimes, we need doubts to humble ourselves, so not having doubts or fears can be dangerous.
- Stopping and redirecting your path may be hard but a necessary thing to do.
[21:15] Authenticity and the Struggle of Coming Up with Your Own Story
- You may feel the need to imitate other people’s tactics because they’re doing things better and for longer.
- But you only need to draw inspiration from people. You can do this by finding people with a message you can resonate with and the values you can live with.
- Authenticity doesn’t mean just being vulnerable or sharing your life story. It’s figuring out who you are and what you stand for.
- There isn’t a lot of authenticity nowadays, especially online. So, people now crave it; they are attracted to those who are real and who they can relate to.
[31:04] Michelle’s Message to Women
- Michelle feels very blessed to be a woman. Now, women have more opportunities than they had in the 80s.
- Be driven to figure out what you want, who you are, and what you want to do early on.
- We are here for a reason and that’s to share ourselves with other people. The sooner you can discover your purpose, the more people you can influence.
- It’s okay to have a different opinion. Just approach things with grace and speak up.
- Be who you are and love who you are early on.
[36:30] The Effects of Being a People-Pleaser
- The desire to serve and make people happy is good, but not if at the expense of yourself.
- You may want to be liked, and so you’ll adapt to the environment and lose authenticity. This is the negative part of being a people-pleaser.
- Michelle used to be a people-pleaser, but she has since changed her perspective. She still wants to be liked, but she’s become proud of who she is without changing too much about herself.
- People-pleasing is good when you’re inspiring others, but you should never do it at the expense of changing yourself. Be at peace and have faith in who you are.
[40:37] The Power of Authority
- You have the expertise; you just need to let people know of this expertise by writing or talking about it.
- Use all the things you’ve learned and experienced to leverage yourself while helping and inspiring other people.
- Writing a book can be the way to leave an impact.
- Michelle has a series of questions to help people leverage their expertise, realize their impact, and share their story. Listen to the podcast for more details on this.
- There are now new methods and platforms to share your stories, expertise, and talents. It can be through podcasts or social media.
[47:08] Changing Your Authority Scale
- You have something you’re good at or passionate about; you need to go out there and share it with the world.
- Michelle’s friend wrote a book about adopting a child. The next thing she knew, the biggest adoption agency has invited her to speak and has distributed her book to a large audience.
[52:26] On Writing and Publishing
- When writing novels, the process is pretty much the same. But you have to have an ultimate goal and a concrete plan.
- Michelle shares that she likes to help people find their core story or who God made them to be.
- Hybrid and self-publishing can help you publish a book sooner. It can get you widespread acclaim and success, but it will be a more complex process.
- Ultimately, the type of publishing route you choose will depend on what your goal is.
[1:01:33] How to Become the Author of Your Story
- Grab a piece of paper and draw a T. On the left-hand side, list down the things you’re passionate about. On the right, list down your experiences.
- Once you have the list, look for an intersection between the two.
- As you learn how to become an author of your story, you will realize who you really are: a combination of passion and experiences.
- Michelle resonates the most with the word ‘create.’ It’s not just about creating, but also knowing and trusting that The Greatest Creator built you the way that you are.
5 Powerful Quotes from this Episode
[23:35] “Authenticity doesn’t mean that you’re just vulnerable, and you share every detail of your life. But it’s just figuring out who you are, what do you stand for, and putting your stake in the ground so that you will attract other people who are like you.”
[33:05] “You don’t have to be anybody other than who you are. And there should be no fear, no shame in that, and just to own it and be proud of that. But more importantly, just figure out the ‘Why you’re here.’ Because especially as believers we are here for a reason; we are here for a purpose.”
[49:54] “It’s not about the book. It’s not about what it makes or what it sells for. It’s more like, ‘I get a phone call from someone who read my book; I don’t even know them. They said my story changed their life.’ I mean, things like that happen all the time. And there’s just so much power in it.”
[52:48] “The process isn’t hard. The hardest part is figuring out what your story is, and figuring out what it is that you could put into a book.”
[1:03:55] “The best book for you to write is the intersection between your passions and your experiences.”
Enjoy This Podcast?
Seek Go Create is for anyone seeking excellence, moving towards success, or creating something new. We share topics, stories and conversations that allow us to rethink how we live, work and lead.
If you were inspired and educated by this episode, feel free to subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Google Podcasts so that you never miss another episode. Also, share this episode or what you’ve learned today on social media.
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we’d love a review from you. By doing this, you can help us reach more people who want to redefine success in their lives.
To growing and becoming all we are created to be,