Unhappiness and self-doubt often overlap with one another. It is frustrating to be stuck in the cycle of setbacks and ordeals. Even more, the inability to move beyond these setbacks can keep you away from living a happy life. Knowing your capabilities and discovering your inner champion will let you break this vicious cycle.
In this episode, we talk to Chris Natzke, an author, athlete, coach, and master of Champion’s Mindset. Chris shares his experiences, which enabled him to become a better person and live a happy life. He takes us back to his martial arts roots and their impact on his philosophy. Chris also narrates his revolutionary principles on discovering your inner champion.
Listen to the episode if you want to know how to discover your inner champion and be fully happy in life.
Chris Natzke is an 8th Degree Black Belt and Former National Champion in Taekwondo. He is a gifted speaker, an author, and a coach and master of the Champion’s Mindset.
- Learn how to live a happy life by discovering your inner champion.
- Discover the seven keys you need to know to find your inner champion.
- Know how having an impact on others can influence your growth and success.
[03:16] Definition of “Inspire”
- Inspiration enables us to do amazing things in life.
- We create meaning when we tap into our inspiration, and it leads us to our happiest point.
- Actions must coexist with inspiration for our goals to come to fruition.
[04:11] Definition of “Empower”
- One of the greatest reasons for unhappiness and discord is the lack of empowerment.
- Empowerment does not entail abuse of power. It does not mean having power over someone.
- Rather, empowerment means having strength inside ourselves.
[08:13] Different Lessons Learned in Martial Arts
- Chris developed his champion’s mindset when he met Master Lee, his teacher in Taekwondo.
- For Chris, a champion has a great vision for their life, grace under pressure, and a life dedicated to service. Each person has a champion in themselves.
- He realized that martial arts principles can be integrated into a person’s life and be used as a means for personal development.
- Through Master Lee, teaching martial arts took on a whole new meaning for Chris.
[24:15] Corporate Life and Building of Martial Arts School
- Chris started his corporate life in Procter and Gamble in Chicago as part of their sales team. He was successful in his field and gained three promotions.
- Despite his success, there was still a ‘what-if’ lingering in Chris’s mind. His wife convinced him to finally open his martial arts school in their town. He resigned and never looked back.
- He feels like building a martial arts school aligns with his purpose, which is to bring impact to people’s lives.
- Listen to your heart.
[27:43] Moving Past Anxiety and Lows of Life
- Chris is a father and a breadwinner. Opening a new business that could potentially fail was terrifying.
- The new venture became too overwhelming. He developed anxiety and panic attacks.
- With the support of his loved ones and steadfast faith, he managed to move past the fear and anxiety.
- He realized how he needed to rely on something greater than himself to get through all of these.
[31:43] Understanding Your Inner Champion for a Happy Life
- To access one’s inner champion, you must borrow strength from something bigger than yourself.
- We only remember to lean on this greater being when we are at our lowest. When we are not suffering, we forget about it.
- This greater force can be used as a template for dealing with problems and to lead a happy life.
[44:52] Black Belt Leadership
- The book started as an essay to answer the question of how martial arts influenced his life.
- The principles found in the book are lessons Chris taught to his sons and students.
- The seven keys are combinations of things he learned in martial arts, spiritual reflections, and lessons from his spiritual psychology.
- Listen to the full podcast to learn more about these seven keys and start discovering your inner champion.
[57:59] Talking About His Latest Book Breaking Through
- Chris was inspired to write the book when he attended a board-breaking workshop where people wrote self-doubts on boards and they would break it. He wondered if the people who broke the boards did experience a breakthrough.
- In this book, he lists down the practical steps you can take to make your breakthrough happen.
- Tune in to the full episode to learn more about this book.
[1:00:03] Realizations in Camino de Santiago
- Chris set out to do the Camino de Santiago, a 500-mile walk-hike across Spain in 2014. People attend this to gain a greater spiritual connection with themselves.
- He realized that he has to learn how to slow down and enjoy the long journey.
- Thanks to this, he saw many blessings that can only be seen when people take things slowly.
[01:03:17] Ideal Clients for Chris
- Chris mentions that he works well with corporate and sales teams that are looking for a breakthrough.
- In terms of individual coaching clients, he works well with entrepreneurs.
- He wants to impart the values of self-leadership and the necessary skills to bring their business to success.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
[03:21] “I just have a real deep belief that each one of us has this power inside of us, that we connect with that source, God if you will, inside of us. And when we do that, that whole inspiration is what really is, for me, the building blocks of what enables us to do amazing things in life.”
[30:15] “Because I think sometimes, as you said, we only think of the high points, or people hear the high points. And that was petrifying to me. But now coming out of that, it’s one of the best things that ever happened, because I realized how I needed to rely on something bigger than myself to get through that.”
[36:20] “I realized that when we’re in those places, when they’re in those places of challenge, it’s about getting really present where we are right now, and is looking to do the next right thing, and the next right thing. Because when we get to, when I get too far ahead of myself, that’s when I get into worry and fear.”
[39:25] “You know, our lives are about readjusting, and it’s not so much been off course, it’s about being aware and then correcting, that’s when we’re moving forward.”
[55:45] “When we serve others, that’s when we begin to light up as human beings because we’re really all connected in that way.”
Enjoy This Podcast?
Seek Go Create is for anyone seeking excellence, moving towards success, or creating something new. We share topics, stories and conversations that allow us to rethink how we live, work and lead.
If you were inspired and educated by this episode, feel free to subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Google Podcasts so that you never miss another episode. Also, share this episode or what you’ve learned today on social media.
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we’d love a review from you. By doing this, you can help us reach more people who want to redefine success in their lives.
To growing and becoming all we are created to be,