How To Lead Others | Season 3 Episode 6
Steward leaders will be more effective if they have the foundational skills to lead and influence other people. To do this, you should be able to show sincere love and compassion toward others. Human interaction is essential. However, it seems like we struggle with the basics of interacting despite how digitally connected we all are.
In this episode, Seek Go Create host Tim Winders emphasizes the importance of fundamental human interaction in building influence. Additionally, shares tips on breaking down barriers and building stronger and more meaningful relationships. Finally, this episode will teach you how a steward leader should foster influence among their peers.
Tune in to learn how you can be a better everyday leader!
3 Reasons to Listen:
- Tim shares the fundamental skills you need to lead, to influence others and to engage in human interaction.
- Learn how to break barriers and communicate like a leader.
- Understand how fear can keep you from being a steward leader.
- Skill With People by Les Gimlin
- How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Ideal Team Player by Patrick Lencioni
- When Pride Still Mattered by David Maraniss
- Seek, Go, Create: Season 3, Episode 5
- Episode Details
[02:07] The Beginning of Human Interaction
- Tim recalls an experience where he encountered a person exercising leadership in the wrong way.
- The responsibility of leading people starts with loving other people. This fosters human interaction.
- Leadership is stewardship.
“The basic foundation here when we are dealing with having the responsibility of leading other people is to love other people, really love other people.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[5:06] Tim and His Leadership Experience
- Tim has various experiences wherein he was a leader.
- Much of what he knows about leadership is based on his experiences.
[8:09] Learning About Leadership
- There are a lot of materials available for you to learn leadership.
- Aside from books, it would be easier to learn leadership if you go back to the basics.
- Learn to deal with people; the key is to remember their names.
- Tom shares his tips on how to recognize others' names easier.
[11:37] Breaking Barriers
- You have to break the barriers so that you can communicate with people easily.
- Making eye contact is a great way to interact with people and show your compassion and love for them.
- Learn to smile to show your sincerity.
- Tim shares an icebreaker activity he called the stare exercise. In a conference, the participants were asked to stare at a stranger for a minute.
- It is a great practice on being focused and intent on being present with another person.
“One of the most important things in dealing with people is to learn their names and to be able to say their names to them.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[18:00] Human Interaction in Encouraging People
- People and corporations should start with the basics.
- Give encouraging words whenever possible.
- Nowadays, it is easier to be rude and crude. However, sincerely doing the opposite can help you build a positive influence.
- Words are powerful. Our words can give life or death to other people.
- Be kind, be nice, and show love.
[21:18] Expect the Best From People
- Have positive expectations
- Tim shares a personal experience where other people let him down.
- Expect the best from people, and they will respond the same way.
- Despite our generational and cultural differences, most people desire the same things. We all want hope, success, meaningful relationships, and to do something valuable.
[23:32] Extrovert and Introvert Tendencies Affecting Human Interaction
- The best leaders Tim encountered are introverts. Introverts are very methodical and are thinkers.
- Nonetheless, being an extrovert or introvert is irrelevant in being a steward for other people.
- Technological advances allow us to connect with people easily, but there is still a feeling of disconnect.
- Showing genuine interest to others is the simplest way to show and build influence.
[25:49] Do Things in Person and Foster Human Interaction
- Speak to people one-on-one as much as you can.
- If you’re on a video call, make sure to look at the camera directly and show that you are paying attention.
- Personal communication is an effective way of leading others powerfully.
“You make every effort to make eye contact with as many people as you can. That is a great way to connect with people—lower barriers and show them that you care for them, have compassion for them, and have a love for them.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[27:52] Written Communication
- Written communication still exists, and it’s very powerful.
- Learn to be mindful of what you write and what you send.
- Listen to the entire episode to hear Tim's tips before writing your messages.
[29:57] Consistency in Human Interaction
- Parents should be consistent in leading their children.
- People want to know what to expect.
- Inconsistency leads to a lack of trust.
“Expect the best from people—have positive expectations.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[31:25] Characteristics of a Team Player
- You want someone who is hungry because they want to do better. As a result, they’re striving for more.
- A team player is humble because they are teachable, and you can educate them.
- Another characteristic is being smart in their ability to deal with other people.
- As you are building your team, you want to look for people with these characteristics. More importantly, these characteristics are excellent gauges to know how well you are doing as a steward leader.
[34:48] Fear of Human Interaction
- In this episode, fear is discussed as the barrier keeping us not only from human interaction but also so many people from stepping into the role of responsibility.
- It can manifest in different forms—fear of speaking in front of people, success, making mistakes and making decisions, among others.
- Fear is a big deterrent to becoming a strong steward and a great everyday leader. It hinders people from moving forward, improving, and reaching goals.
“Fear is something that I see is a big deterrent in people becoming a strong steward and a great everyday leader.” - Click Here To Tweet This
Enjoy This Podcast?
Seek Go Create is for leaders, entrepreneurs, ministers, and everyone seeking excellence, moving towards success, or creating something new.
If this episode taught you more about how God makes an empowering, positive change in your life, don't hesitate! Feel free to subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. By doing this, you can help us reach more people who want to rest and spend time with God.
Do you want to help more people renew their spiritual life through God’s grace? A simple way is to share this episode or what you've learned today on social media.
Connect with the SeekGoCreate Network! For updates and more episodes, visit our website or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
To growing and becoming all we are created to be,